Friday, August 6, 2010

Director Matthew Vaughn Edits X-MEN: FIRST CLASS Script After Seeing INCEPTION




While working on X-Men: First Class in London recently, director Matthew Vaughn (Kick-Ass) took a little time to check out Christopher Nolan’s Inception. So, how was the screening, Mr. Vaughn? Per the Los Angeles Times:

“I saw ‘Inception,’ which I loved,” Vaughn said Monday. “But my heart sank when I saw that a few of the ideas we had were up [on the screen]. So it’s either leave it in and look as if you’re copying or change things. We completely ripped out about 12 pages of the (First Class) script and the storyboards.”


Vaughn says that the removed sequence revolved around “dream-space combat,” and featured Professor X (James McAvoy) and other mutants fighting amidst spinning rooms and “other physics-bending imagery.” While I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing visuals similar to Inception’s within X-Men: First Class, I can respect Vaughn for wanting to do his own thing. Also, although the sequence in question will likely never see the light of day, I have to admit that I like where Vaughn’s head is at in terms of the visual style of First Class.

Revisions aside, X-Men First Class is scheduled to hit theaters June 3rd, 2011 and currently stars James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Nicholas Hoult, Alice Eve, and Kevin Bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment